My Life, Digitally

Because nothing disappears anymore, my life can be narrated through friends with active technology habits.

I’ve known  Alexa since 2001. The evolution of our relationship is as follows: LiveJournal, AIM, BlogSpot, MySpace, Yahoo, Gmail, Facebook, and millions of text messages. We have had virtual fights but we always make up, virtually.

Alexa(1)

February 3, 2014 | 9:42 PM

photo

January 14, 2014 | 11:00 PM | San Francisco, CA

I’ve known my dad since the day I was born. We text almost everyday, and he used Twitter before I did.

Dad

February 4, 2014 |  8:53 PM

Dad

December 22, 2013  | 4:00 PM  | San Francisco, CA

________

I’ve known Cathy since I was 11 years old and we both got our first cell phones in high school so we could text in class. She lives in Nashville now and I can only see her in person a few times a year. Thanks to Apple, I can see her and her new puppy all the time.

Cathy

February 4, 2014 | 7:00PM

photo(2)

September 2013  | 3:05 PM  | New York, New York

Tori was one of my first New York friends. We used our work email to plan multiple happy hours, and text messaging created a support network for jobs we both hated. She updates me on her new life in Florida courtesy of T-Mobile.

Tori

February 5, 2014  | 10:18 AM

Tori2

September, 2013 |  3:25 PM | Syracuse, New York

__________________________________________________

I made a Facebook page for James in college that he never used.  He is not a technology person. When I moved to the East Coast, he started using his phone more. Sometimes you just have to.

James

February 5, 2014 | 7:05 PM

James2

January, 2014 | 12:21 PM |  Santa Barbara, CA.

About these ads

4 comments

1. Bill Welsh · · Reply

Like it. Alexa and Kathy….Kathy smiles more, right? On Feb 10, 2014 7:07 PM, “Sarah Elizabeth Welsh” wrote:

> sarahelizabethwelsh posted: “Because nothing disappears anymore, my > life can be narrated through friends with active technology habits. > http://feltsense.ws.gc.cuny.edu/ I’ve known Alexa since 2001. The > evolution of our relationship is as follows: LiveJournal, AIM, BlogSpot, > MySpac”

2. Sarah , Wow, this is amazing! All the layers! So many cool, creative choices that form a rich, complex, visual, polyvocal narrative. –Sean